Official Contest Rules for Deathmatch 2018!
- Contest is open to original unpublished works of fiction up to 3,000 words.
- Top 16 stories will be selected by the Broken Pencil fiction team. These 16 stories will compete in a weekend long royal rumble. Readers will be able to vote for 1 story every hour, and all 16 stories will share one conglomerated comment feed. Whichever 8 stories receive the most votes will become the quarter finalists, and move on to the one on one portion of the competition.
- Finalists and winner will be determined by voting on the Broken Pencil website in a series of group and one-on-one challenges between finalists’ stories. The finalists are encouraged to solicit votes for their stories in any way they can think of, provided it’s legal and doesn’t involve undermining the principle of one vote per one person every hour – that means no clickbots!
- Winner receives:
$400 cash prize!
Publication in Broken Pencil Magazine! The Complete Indie Writers' Makeover: A consultation with a famed publisher; A consultation with a literary agent; plus a consultation with an acclaimed writer. They will read your work and give you feedback on your writing, your career and what to do next!
- The top three finalists receive $100, a Broken Pencil Prize Pack worth $100, and publication in the issue. The four remaining stories out of the Top 8 receive a Broken Pencil Prize Pack.
- Entry fee is $28, by credit card or PayPal, through Broken Pencil’s automated submission system run by Submitable. We really don’t want to deal with snail mail anymore, but if you’re desperate drop us a line and we can probably accommodate you.
- Entry fee includes a one-year subscription to Broken Pencil, or a one-year extension for current subscribers (for Canadian and US addresses). International addresses will receive the full color digital edition subscription
- Proper manuscript format for submissions can be found on the Submission Guidelines page of the Broken Pencil website. All entrants agree to be added to the Broken Pencil email mailing list; you can unsubscribe at any time.
- All entrants agree to have their submissions posted on the Broken Pencil website to be voted on and discussed by visitors to the site; writers whose stories are chosen for the voting rounds must agree to actively participate in the comments section while their story is being judged in order to promote and advocate for their entry. Entrants must be available throughout the month of February 2018 to participate in the Deathmatch. Remember: this is an anything goes contest; comments from visitors to the site can be hurtful. Be prepared for battle, and don’t say we didn’t warn you.
- All writers whose stories make the Top 8 agree to have their submissions printed in the magazine at a later date with compensation, posted on the website indefinitely without further compensation, and/or reprinted in physical or electronic format in a Broken Pencil anthology, on the Broken Pencil App “The Nub” and licensed by Broken Pencil to 3rd party databases without additional permissions or compensation required.